Friday, August 29, 2008

Bling Singh Vs Switzerland Swinger


Singh is Kinng vs. Bachna ae Haseeno seems a rather silly article and review to
be even writing.But please bear with me and read on. I promise I have a point.

Any young, urban city dweller reading this would probably say- Yuck? You actually went for Singh is Kinng?I know I would.For sure.

To those people I say Yes! I did go for the movie and wondered about how I would ever be able to make up those three hours of my life which would be lost to me forever. So yes, I thought the same way when I was dragged for the movie as part of a family bonding session.
How a family can bond while watching Akshay Kumar and Katrina Kaif in blinding yet matching fluorescent clothes is beyond me, but I digress.

After watching the two movies over that gloriously long weekend, I was able to draw a few (and in my mind interesting) conclusions.
We love to be dazzled. The pomp,splendour and jazz of Bollywood cannot be parallelled and we love it for that very reason. That's the reason why so many 'mindless' movies do so well.

That being said, we also have brains and something called memory.
Therefore, Yash Raj Studios might want to come up with some new formulae. Yes, the songs, beautiful locations,nice clothes and great bodies formula is great, but you know how its going to end eventually and who's going to end up with whom.And how many times have we seen variations of the same equation?
My memory fails.

Singh is Kinng wasn't an exceptionally unique nail biter or anything,it had all of the above.But at least you're is entertained by the silly jokes (sometimes politically incorrect),puns and typical plight of the Indian situation abroad.
Read:Akshay Kumar and toilet paper, cornflakes and milk referred to as chiwda aur doodh: angrezi breakfast.
Also,since the songs from that movie have been playing on BEST buses across the city, you've gotten so used to the sound that by the time you're at the theatre the melody has you tapping your foot!

Another conclusion was that people haven't heard of a Thesaurus. Attempt to count the number of times Ranbir Kapoor says 'killer'. You'll probably lose count(and your mind) within the first ten minutes of the movie.

In spite of the progressive nature of both these films,the women are still portrayed in ridiculously archaic roles. Neha Dhupia is the silly secretary who spouts dialogues from a host of Bollywood films.Minnisha Lamba , Bipasha Basu and Deepika Padukone are no match for Ranbir's "killer" looks and charm.(Deepika is for a while, but eventually falls for him and Bipasha attributes her stardom to Ranbir and their breakup). 2008 or 1758? You decide.

Some movies blind us. Some entice us, and some movies dazzle us.Both films seem to do all of the above.
Singh is Kinng, though silly and stupid,does this exceptionally well, with humour!
Bachna ae Haseeno is definitely more urbane with its characters, story and clothes.(Deepika studies for an MBA, Bipasha and Ranbir have a live-in relationship Ranbir makes zillions of dollars with his gaming business) The target audience of the film is even probably the young city dweller. But in my book,Singh is definitely Kinng.

Scoring point: While there is a fascination for the 'foreign land',wind mills,sky scrapers and white skin in both movies, Singh is Kinng perfectly underlines that no matter where we go and what we do,how we dress and what we eat,
we're all still Dil se Desi.

2 comments:

Bohemia said...

interesting!!!........i dint watch sin is king!!

Smitha Menon- said...

Haha you should!
It's hilarious!